Taxi scooter context: These guys (guys as in, male's, all males) are the fastest way to get around town. They're fully legit (although they're driving style would not be legal in the west!). They wear a coloured hi-viz jacket associated to the district they're in and because they are on scooters, can get around anywhere very quick and very cheap.
Anyway, back to the award. If you wear a skirt, you ride side saddle. I am in awe of people who ride side saddle! I've still got the image fresh in my mind of this one woman. Her feet weren't on the passenger pedals (this is the main way to support yourself on the back of a scooter but doesn't work side saddle), she wasn't holding the handles (this is the secondary support), she wasn't holding the guys back (it's a taxi driver, not her boyfriend), one hand holding her hair, the other resting on her knee. How the heck did she balance!? Remember folks, this is Bangkok! 8 lanes of traffic. Traffic suddenly changing lanes, suddenly stopping, suddenly starting. Scooter taxi, races up the inside of the traffic, the outside of traffic, through hotel forecourts, down back alleys, not for the faint of heart. I would've taken a photo of it actually, only problem was, I was *ahem* riding a scoo-cough taxi.
Just another typical Bangkok intersection - spot the orange vested taxi scooters.

No comments:
Post a Comment