I've been thinking about Singapore since I left. Its an impressively epic, futuristic city. However, it has another, more ominous side to it. Its almost a prophetic glimpse of what life could be like. A futuristic dystopia. Think George Orwell's 1984.
- There are thousands of security camera's everywhere.
- Tvs and signs tell people how to act. How to use the escalators, what corruption is, how to queue and board a train, how to keep the toilet clean. It's all covered.
- People are afraid of breaking the rules (unlike a lot of Asia...).
- Political leaders make authoritarian decisions (which get things done but don't involve consultation) - don't even think about striking as you'll have no job the next day.
No doubt if I was there for longer, I'd have even more insight.
Still, its a country of four dominant cultures and religions and many different immigrants. I'm trying to think of another way to manage the potential chaos...
Here's an example.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment