Flying in to Singapore, our hostess warns us that drug trafficking is punishable by mandatory death sentence. Nice way to greet us. So, with fear and trepidation (not really, but it sounds good) I get out my passport and walk up to the old, serious looking Singaporean man at Customs. He takes a long hard look at my passport, looks up at me and says "Malcolm David Shearer..."
There's a long pause.
"What do you like to be called...?"
Not sure what to make of that question. Uhmm Malcolm? Or umm, let's see, cleared to enter Singapore? That'd be quite good actually.
"Kiwi or All Black?" Then smiles at me and I laugh realising he's a lot more chilled out than my first impression! Phew.
I carry on, pick up my baggage and head to the declaration area. You know, the one in NZ where they take things really, really seriously? They wave me through the No Declarations area. I'm a little surprised. "Uh, I have snack bars, bread, cereal...?" Still waves me through.
I was tempted to joke... "But what about the illicit goods in my bag...?" However, death before the trip gets started, wouldn't make a very good travel story...
Friday, March 08, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment