Saturday, November 07, 2009

FAQ

Why are you going to Argentina?

I've had this thing about South America since I did a work exchange to California in
02/03. Now's the perfect time to check it out. Got savings, got a cheap flight, got no rent cost in NZ and I've got a place to stay in BA. If the region rings my bells while I'm here, I just may come back for a longer period, some time in the future...


What are you going to do there?


Umm... Figuring that out as I go. I'm interested in community development in poorer areas and with indigenous people. So far I've connected with a local church who have a couple of things going on that I've checked out. I'll also be heading up to visit SIM in Paraguay and visiting a friend Louise in Jujuy [hard to pronounce - kindof like hu-huy except softer and with more breath...]. And will be getting right into the tourism and visiting one of the seven natural wonders of the world - Iguazu. See my calendar for dates as I figure them out.


You like to travel but you don't like tourism...?! What gives?

Yeah, when I was traveling in the U.S in 03, I spent three days in Vegas. Although there was some amazing sites to see there, I came away with a bitter taste in my mouth, so to speak. I had dreams of working on cruise ships, sailing around the Greek Islands, traveling through Europe and generally participating in all the standard things Kiwi travelers do but that vision came unstuck. Vegas was not a nice place, to me it felt like an incredibly oppressive place and despite being amazed by the Bellagio and the Venetian, after three days I was very keen to get out. There was really only one reason for that city to exist, to support an industry based on greed and selfishness. That experience had a lasting effect on me and impacted my world view in terms of how and why I travel.

But in saying all that, tourism is still a great way to develop an economy and I really enjoy meeting new people, experiencing and participating in their culture and comparing and contrasting it with my own. I can't see that desire disappearing anytime soon. However, when I'm traveling I want to be contributing not just consuming. I want to get to know people, not just take their picture.


Ok but aren't you just doing the typical tourism thing now?


Yes and no. I don't have any issues with tourism in itself, its just the motivation behind the tourism that sometimes gets on my nerves. If you enjoy western specialities like consumerism and individualism then you're not really going to get what I'm going on about unfortunately. I think our western approach to tourism, is very self-oriented. We look for the latest buzz. What can we take from this country? What experience can we have which will make a nice badge on our chest? (Not to say that I don't have fun collecting "badges" but its not the priority). Tick off a few nice places that we can say “I've been there”. Or maybe its just some kind of self-actualisation thing...? Trying to discover who I really am... But do we actually contribute anything (apart from some cash)? Do we actually get to experience what it is like to live in that area? Struggle with the issues and systems those people struggle with...?

If you like travel so much, why don't you leave NZ and head off overseas permanently?
NZ is my home and that's where I'm meant to be right now. I've got an awesome crew that I'm looking forward to returning to. For me, travel seems so much more exciting when you have people to share the stories with and to journey with over the long term. Also, I have lots of great projects and people to be involved with as soon as I get back to Welly so, it's unlikely you'll see me leave NZ for any greater length of time in the next 4 years or so...

Any other reasons for traveling? (15/11/09)
Every time I travel I always want to record it in text and photos as I go but the travel tends to be too much too fast and I run out of time to write. This trip is a chance to put my ideal travel philosophy into action. I've basically taken the maximum time possible for my schedule (2 months) and gone for less rather than more. If I was a proper backpacker I'd be racing around trying to see as much as possible but this trip is the opposite. I'm trying to go slow, meet people and allow plenty of time to write about my experiences. Its still travel so I won't have time to write epic national geographic pieces but at least I get to record it all and a few people get to travel along with me.

[This post may get updated over time]

No comments: