Saturday, October 10, 2009

A typically atypical day

This is an extract from an email prior to leaving Welly, written for an extrovert to illustrate a typically atypical day.

Got up at 8.30. Had breakfast, played with the kids for a bit. Practised Spanish. 5 min walk to cafe in Newtown for coffee with an Anglican rev./community worker/ex-greenhaus-resident. We talk about community, connection, ideas, people, the market, newtown, he offers to help wherever he can and to introduce someone who maybe helpful. Then Matt (peoples coffee) and Becky (community centre) walk by, we wave. Then Nathan (intellectually disabled heavy metaler, once he knows your name, you know you've made it in Newtown (he knows my name, as of March)) sticks his head through the door to tell us about the 5 heavy metal shirts he got for his birthday.

Then on the spur of the moment went with Rev up the road to The Club House for an hour of awesome drumming with local mental health consumers (not neccesarily intellectually disabled) and a professional drummer. Great fun! Wish I'd heard about it earlier. Most of the faces were familiar as they all come to the Greenhaus soiree (evening performance thing once a quarter). Then went home, made lunch from leftovers. Rode to town to catch up with Chinese friend just back from Argentina. Got a few tips. Then missed ex-colleague due to a delay with her Telecom text, dang Telecom!! Then bought some souvenirs for presents in Arg.

Skyped Javier (who I'll stay with in BA) to practice my Spanish. Hola (hello), como estace? (how are you), muy bien (very good) y tu? (and you), muy bien gracias encantado (very good thanks, please to meet you) Then put out flattie's washing, then made some calls to Auckland, then cleaned the bathroom, then wandered through Newtown to buy stuff, then dropped off another flatties overdue DVD, then dropped in to old flat to get my garden fork. Then dropped into ex neighbours to chat. Then walked the fork across town to the GH. Played with the compost for a while (working on making it less sick (too little oxygen, too little carbon, too much nitrogen, too much acid), it currently smells bad! Fortunately I like compost.

Then I did some homework for a course ive organised for a group of friends. Then cooked some left overs for dinner (no organised dinner on a Friday). Then the parent-flatties and their kids came home. Talked to the kids briefly then they went to bed. Then flatmate pours boiling water into a mug... and the mug starts leaking, and she's looking at the mug leaking saying "oh no, the mugs leaking what the heck" by which point I'm saying "put it in the sink!" as it pours all over the floor. Then other flatties come in, we watch 7 Days ondemand. Then flattie goes dumpster diving. Then we watch 7 days live. Then we shoot the breeze and eat chocolate... then i surf on the web for a while. Day over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an E I think that's an awesome day and I can't believe I'm the first to write a comment on it. BTW, curry comp last night went well, I thought. Duncan McKee (and brother) won it.
Had left over curry at Lifepoint for lunch today.
Also went to St Cuthberts Anglican church in Berhampore until 11.15am this morning. Nathan, Manu and Anna Wards, Dan (married to Jess), and Jemma were there with Richard preaching about being missional. I was glad to be there, although I had to leave early to retrieve a bike lock from Lifepoint.
Julian

Malcolm said...

Great to hear, thats the only news I've heard of the comp so far.