Saturday, November 03, 2007

Daphne Hut Tramp

Ok so, these posts aren't exactly shakespeare... but I gotta catch up quick, so I'm ready for the States!

Its been a big tramping (hiking if you come from the north...) year for yours truly. four tramps in four different forest parks. The latest park to be discovered was in the Ruahine's. The team consisted of Neal the organiser, Fiona, Nyree, Simon, Andre and myself.

We had plenty of practice crossing rivers on this trip as we had to go up the Tikitiki (a river that a couple of us floated down a couple of years ago but much further downstream). We prolly crossed it 30 times in total!

Day 1 was a 500m climb, a few ups and downs and then up the river for a good amount of the way. We arrived at the first hut way later than expected so stayed there overnight. Enjoyed a good spag bol and some mousse for dessert.

Day 2 everyone but myself went on a daytrip up to Howletts hut, a 700m climb. Once again I had issues with my leg so took it easy for that day and enjoyed the peace of an eerily quiet valley. That evening we had a great vege curry on rice care of Nyree. Plenty of cards were played also.

Day 3 was the walk out the way we came. Fortunately the leg was charged up and ready to go and I got faster the longer I was tramping for. Weather was pretty good as we were sheltered from the intense winds of that weekend.

No comments: