Friday, July 10, 2015

Inter-faith dialogue

We had a couple of hours to dialogue with a muslim friend of Dave’s...

Points of interest:
- Some of her friends have left Australia as they can’t handle the abuse any more, even though they grew up in Oz.
- She holds to some feminist ideals but doesn’t find the hijab oppressive as she has chosen to wear it. It has deep cultural value to her.
- Hijab’s represent Mother Mary’s purity. Head coverings were worn in many Christian circles until fairly recent times too.
- There’s no reference to original sin in the Koran, or to Eve being responsible (there’s equal blame).
- Some of the more oppressive things we see in the media are cultural not religious. For instance the Burkha isn't "Islamic" and she doesn't agree with it, however it did have some legitimate origins in the dessert to keep the sand out. In one north African country there is a tribe where male's still cover their faces. 
- She deeply respects Dave as he is a friend and isn’t hell bent on trying to convert her. Christians’ who’s primary aim is to prove wrong or convert Muslims, do more harm than good (obviously!).



Dave’s book The Jihad of Jesus is a great read for unpacking some of the challenges between Christianity and Islam. Among other things he does a great job of unpacking the dark and light sides of both religions’ history's (I managed to speed read through most of it while it was hanging around here).

"Given continued distressing references to 'jihad' in newspaper, radio and tv headlines some of my friends, both Christian and Muslim, suggested I write a book about Jesus and 'jihad' and call it 'The Jihad of Jesus'. It was hoped the provocative title would get a lot of attention, and we could introduce Christians and Muslims to a Qur'anic reconstruction of the concept of 'jihad' in the light of the radical practical nonviolence of Jesus. 
I have not written this book as an expert. I am not. I have not written this book as a specialist. I am not. I have simply written this book in conversation with Muslim friends, seeking to find a way we can struggle for love and justice that is true to the best in our faith traditions."



No comments: