Friday, February 22, 2013

The roof

It's 7.45am (12.45pm NZT) I'm sitting on the roof of the hostel with a guy from Taiwan. I just explained my cunning train plan. "Ah, ah, you are so smart!! Thank you thank you."

Well, actually seat61.com is smart, but ill take credit for following what seems rather counter intuitive advice...

The Malaysian train leaves from the northern border of Sgp. If you buy a ticket for a train leaving sgp the face value is changed from say 30 Malaysian ringgit to 30 singa. Which means its about 2.5 times more expensive!! But if you buy a trip from KL to Sgp and back, the currency stays ringgit. The first trip is a ghost trip ill never use. Curious huh?

Now he's trying to understand how I can afford 3.5 weeks travel when I only work 3 days a week...
He works at Foxconn as a manager. 7 days a week, 6am to 10pm. 7 days off every 3 months. And he's on call at night... No wonder they make the news for the wrong reasons!!!



No comments: